Manchester, Vermont is one of those locations that cater to all types of travellers. It has small-town charm, but with the amenities of a larger village. It has got active outdoor adventures, a thriving art and cultural scene, excellent restaurants and even a bit of luxury. With plenty to offer domestic and international tourists, it is no wonder that people flock to this village for a well-earned vacation.
Why visit Manchester, VT
Manchester is located right in the mountain region of Vermont, offering stunning views and skiing opportunities. The town itself is well worth a visit with a range of bars, cafes, and restaurants to satisfy your culinary desires. If you desire more of an active vacation, you can choose from epic hikes to kayaking trips to cycling trails. It is a great vacation all year round due to the ski fields and natural scenery, so add the town to your USA bucket list!
Getting Ready for Your Trip to Manchester VT
Getting to Manchester in Vermont is relatively straightforward. It is best to take a flight to a New York City Airport and then take the train, bus or car out to Manchester, or you can even fly into a regional airport like Albany or Burlington and make your way from there. If you are lucky enough to live close (or have ample time), why not pack up the car and make a road trip out of it?
International travellers will need to do a little extra preparation. As when travelling to any overseas destination, you need to be aware of the entry requirements for your destination country. The USA requires all people to obtain either a standard visa or an ESTA. Take note that not everyone is eligible for a visa. Only certain countries are a part of the visa waiver program so always do your research to see what criteria apply to you.
An esta visa application is completed via an online portal. The do the application, you will have to enter your details and follow the prompts. Essentially, the ESTA is a pre-screening check that will ensure you are able to enter the USA. You will still need to pass through customs and border security upon arrival, however, it will speed up the process.
It is definitely worth applying for an ESTA well before your trip. The last thing you want is to have issues boarding your flight because you do not have the right paperwork! You can check status of esta via the online portal. If there are any problems, address them early so you are not stressed as your departure date gets closer.
Places to Eat in Manchester VT
Manchester has many fabulous eateries that are guaranteed to delight your tastebuds. Whether you are after a casual cafe or fancy restaurant, there is no shortage of options in this village. We have listed some of our favourites below.
- Ye Olde Tavern – Combine great food with interesting history at Ye Olde Tavern. You will be transported to another era the moment you walk through the door and they offer excellent comfort food!
- Zoey’s Double Hex – For a classic American burger, it is impossible to go past Zoey’s Double Hex. The extensive menu means there is something for everyone, even the fussiest of eaters.
- Ponce Bistro – Looking for something a little fancier to commemorate your trip? Put Ponce Bistro on your list. The decadent decor is complete with velvet curtains and there is a great list of cocktails, ciders and imported beers to go with the delectable dishes.
Lakes near Manchester VT
Most people think of the mountains when they think of Manchester, but there is also a lot of great lakes in the area. If water sports or even soaking in the sun are more your thing, consider adding one (or more!) of these stunning lakes to your itinerary.
- Lake Paran – This lake offers a true atmosphere of tranquillity. With incredible scenery and a sturdy dock, you can easily enjoy a few hours here.
- Emerald Lake State Pond – If you are after clear water, Emerald Lake is your spot! There is a trail around the lake for those looking to get active, a clean, sandy beach for those wanting to relax, and lots of little fishes for those looking to be entertained.
- Grafton Lakes State Park – A popular sport favoured amongst locals and visitors alike, Grafton Lakes is a great spot for a swim. There is also plenty of trails if you want to go for a walk in a beautiful setting.
- Lowell Lake State Park – Head to Lowell Lake State Park to enjoy some of the best scenery Vermont has to offer. Make sure to take a picnic!
Hiking Manchester VT
There is no shortage of hiking spots in Manchester, Vermont. Make sure to pack your walking shoes or hiking boots so you can hit the trails and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Red Gate Trail – Immerse yourself in nature at Red Gate Trail. While you might not want to brave the freezing weather in the middle of winter, you will be mesmerised by the colours if you decide on an autumn stroll.
- Prospect Rock Trail – Perfect for those looking for a little more of a challenge, this trail has an uphill climb that will get the heart rate going. You will be rewarded with excellent views on a clear day!
- Lye Brook Falls Trail – A pretty trail that is suitable for all fitness levels, Lye Brook Falls is well worth a visit. There is something so relaxing about a waterfall.
Hot Yoga Manchester VT
We have good news for the yogis out there – Manchester has a range of great options for you to get your fix of hot yoga! Try to get a booking at one of the following if you are craving a sweat session.
- Zen Revolution
- Heart of the Village Yoga
- Breathing Room Yoga